Young Hearts is Loose Id's tribute to Rod Stewart New Adult romance line. Like Love Unleashed, it encompasses all genres of romance; it also includes fantasy, urban fantasy, science fiction, space opera, mystery and suspense with strong romantic elements. Unlike Love Unleashed, it focuses on younger characters just beginning their lives apart from their families.
A Young Hearts title will typically be light and fresh, romantic and heart-warming, but it may be dark, suspenseful, and atmospheric if it suits the characters. Many are journeys of self-discovery that involve conflict with old friends and family as the hero or heroine asserts "the new me". Emotionally satisfying happy-for-now endings often replace the closure of traditional happily-ever-afters, rather than forcing new adults to commit to their current partners for life.
We're especially but not exclusively looking for: contemporary, LGBT, multicultural, cowboy and western, post-apocalyptic, dystopian, paranormal, and suspense; high concept, strong hooks, great voices. Current themes of interest: first love, friends to lovers, love triangles, coming out, coming of age, series set around groups of friends, siblings, or coworkers.
Young Hearts is... Revenge, Merlin, Supernatural, The Flash, Arrow. Think the CW meets Harlequin and you'll be right on target.
- Age of Characters: One or more of the protagonists must be a "new adult", aged between 18 and 25ish. 18 year-olds may be in high school/graduating, but college age new adults are generally preferred.
- Accepted Genres: Contemporary; Cowboy & Western; Historical; Fantasy; Paranormal, Supernatural & Urban Fantasy; Science Fiction & Space Opera; Mystery & Suspense; Steampunk; Vampires; Shapeshifters; Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans*, Queer; Menage & Polyamory; BDSM & Fetish; Holidays; Multicultural; Full-figured Heroines.
- Length: 20,000-120,000 words. Flings of 20,000 words or less are by invitation-only, and usually only to authors currently publishing with us.
- Series and Serials: We do accept books in series, but each story must stand alone. Acceptance of a first book in a series does not guarantee acceptance of subsequent books.
- Anthologies and Group Projects: We do consider anthology (multiple author), omnibus (single author multiple stories), partner-written, and themed group projects; however each story will be judged on its own merits. Most of our group projects are initiated by Loose Id. Please see our Open Submission Calls for current anthology and special collection opportunities.
- Previously Published Work: Please see Love Revisited for our polices regarding re-releases.
- Short stories; see above.
- Illegal sex with minors: i.e., no statutory rape. Characters must be of legal age to have sex with their partner, whether the partner is the same age or older.
- Pedophilia: sex between adults and children. (Pedophilia as prior abuse is okay.)
- Necrophilia: sex with the dead. Undead doesn't count!
- Bestiality: sex with animals. Shifters, aliens and paranormal creatures are fine.
- Scat or golden showers: feces and urine play.
- Snuff: killing as a culmination of sex. Since we're talking romance, this probably goes without saying.
- Rape as titillation: rape calculated to arouse the reader. Secondary characters and villains may, but heroes and heroines should never commit rape within the scope of story. For capture fantasy, sex slavery, dubious consent, forced seduction, please see guidelines for On the Edge; however, "Edge elements" are generally not desired in Young Hearts titles.
- Incest: sex between close blood relations. For twincest (menage that includes twins), pseudocest (steps, wards, fosters), and culturally permitted incest (historical Egyptians), please see guidelines for On the Edge; however, as above, "Edge elements" are generally not desired in Young Hearts titles.
These guidelines are new as of July 2015. Anything we accepted before as New Adult we still accept; we've just clarified some points of the submissions guidelines and made it easier for readers to find these titles.
[Back to Top]
[Back to Top]
[Back to Top]
[Back to Submissions Overview]