On the Edge is Loose Id's most erotic romance line. It encompasses all genres of romance as well as fantasy, urban fantasy, science fiction, space opera, mystery and suspense with strong erotic romance elements. It is explicitly and unashamedly erotic, includes "Edge elements" (see the list below for examples), and may be darker than traditional romances. Edge elements will be an integral part of the story rather than shoehorned in, be supported by the characterization, the world-building, and the explosive chemistry between the characters.
An On the Edge story will take romance the edge of the genre, the edge of convention, the edge of the abyss, but still be recognizable as a love story. Think of it as an opportunity to show that extreme kink can be just as romantic as candlelight and roses. Make us believe that caning stripes might be a better gift than jewelry.
We're especially but not exclusively looking for multicultural/interracial, het, trans, gay, lesbian, menage, BDSM, romantic suspense, urban fantasy. Current themes of interest: first-time submissives, owning your kink, damaged Doms, rehabilitating broken subs, Alpha submissives, pain play, edgy capture fantasy. And don't miss our Special Submission Call: "We Wish You a Very Kinky Christmas (Season) and a Filthy New Year!" for inspiration!
Unleash your imagination, push the boundaries, experiment and explore--more than anything, we want you to enjoy the freedom to tell your tale your way and make us fall in love on our journey to the edge.
- Accepted Genres: Contemporary; Cowboy & Western; Historical; Fantasy; Paranormal, Supernatural & Urban Fantasy; Science Fiction & Space Opera; Mystery & Suspense; Steampunk; Vampires; Shapeshifters; Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans*, Queer; Menage & Polyamory; BDSM & Fetish; Holidays; Multicultural; Full-figured Heroines.
- Accepted Edge Elements: Twincest (menage sex with twins who do not have sex with each other); Pseudocest (steps, fosters, wards, guardians, brothers or sisters sharing a mate); Culturally-permitted Incest (historicals like Egyptians or Zoroastrians); genetically or magically necessary incest with strong world-building support for it on a case by case basis; Pseudo-bestiality: sex in shapeshifted animal or alien form, sex in partially shifted forms, foreplay in shifted form with a human; Blood-play; Knife-play; Caning; Birching; Sadism; Masochism; Golden showers and scat (urine and feces play) on a case by case basis; Capture Fantasy in its more extreme forms; Dubious Consent or "Forced Seduction"; Sex Slavery; Sexual Torture.
- Required Romance Elements: Sexy romance hook; Love story; an HEA (happily ever after) or an HFN (happy for now) ending that wraps up the current romance arc; or strong romantic elements in a larger storyline (e.g., a mystery novel with an extremely sexy romantic subplot).
- Length: 20,000-120,000 words. Flings of 20,000 words or less are by invitation-only, and usually only to authors currently publishing with us.
- Series and Serials: We do accept books in series, but each story must stand alone. Acceptance of a first book in a series does not guarantee acceptance of subsequent books.
- Anthologies and Group Projects: We do consider anthology (multiple author), omnibus (single author multiple stories), partner-written, and themed group projects; however each story will be judged on its own merits. Most of our group projects are initiated by Loose Id. Please see our Open Submission Calls for current anthology and special collection opportunities.
- Previously Published Work: Please see Love Revisited for our polices regarding re-releases.
- Short stories; see above.
- Sex between minors. For New Adult, please see Young Hearts.
- Pedophilia: sex between adults and underage characters. (Pedophilia as prior abuse is okay.)
- Necrophilia: sex with the dead. Undead doesn't count!
- Bestiality: sex with actual non-sentient animals.
- Snuff: killing as a culmination of sex. Since we're talking romance, this probably goes without saying.
- Rape as titillation: rape calculated to arouse the reader. Secondary characters and villains may, but heroes and heroines should never commit rape within the scope of story.
- Sweet or sensual romances.
These guidelines are new as of July 2015. Some things that were permitted under the single-line guidelines have been moved to On the Edge, and some allowable elements have been added, bu anything that we've accepted in the past is covered by one of the four lines. Please note that some Edge elements may be too erotic for traditional reseller venues. Loose Id will do our best to get the stories accepted by Amazon.com and others, but resale distribution is not guaranteed in all cases.
[Back to Top]
[Back to Top]
[Back to Top]
[Back to Submissions Overview]